How to Identify Common Pet Problems ?
Our sources include academic articles, blog posts, and personal essays from experienced pet care professionals :
Like the rhubarb, the part of the asparagus plant that we love – the young stems – are perfectly safe to eat. But the asparagus hides a deceptive, nasty secret: Its fruit, which are bright red berries, are toxic to humans.
By the time the tips turn black, you`ll notice they`re completely mushy and probably smell a little funky, too. If your asparagus is slimy or sticky, feels mushy and soft, smells foul or has visible signs of mold, it`s time to toss it.
Relevant Questions and Answers :
the most relevant questions and answers related to your specific issue
Animals in pastures with sufficient forage will often avoid Lantana, perhaps because of its pungent aroma and taste, but animals unfamiliar to the plant may ingest enough to affect them. Fifty to ninety percent of animals newly exposed may be affected. Foliage and ripe berries contain the toxic substances with the toxins being in higher concentrations in the green berries. Species affected include cattle, sheep, horses, dogs, guinea pigs, and rabbits (Ross, Ivan A. Medicial plants of the world. Totowa, N.J.: Humana. 1999. p. 187.)
The major clinical effect of Lantana toxicosis is photosensitization, the onset of which often takes place in 1 to 2 days after consumption of a toxic dose (1% or more of animal’s body weight).
Also, the weight of the dog is important in terms of the amounts needed to be ingested before toxic symptoms appear. Less than 1oz of milk chocolate per 1lb of bodyweight needs to be eaten to be potentially lethal and less than 0.1oz per 1lb of baking chocolate is needed to be potentially fatal. If you are unsure, you should always contact your vet or emergency vet straight after ingestion.
If your dog has eaten more than the toxic amount, vomiting needs to be induced within two hours of ingestion. Clinical signs usually occur within 6-12 hours post ingestion. Mild signs can include increased thirst, restlessness, vomiting and diarrhea. More severe signs can include hyperactivity, increased urination, muscle tremors, unbalanced/uncoordinated, seizures, increased heart rate, increased breathing, coma and death.
Now on the your next questions: the Garlic. Garlic is actually TOXIC to your cat so I would recommend to not use it under any circumstances! There are some great products that your vet can recommend for fleas that won’t harm your kitty. One that works great and actually takes care of fleas and all sorts of worms is called Revolution. It is a monthly topical solution and cats tend to tolerate it really well. I hope this was helpful and I hope your kitty feels better soon!
It is best to contact your local veterinarian or emergency clinic for care if your dog has ingested chocolate. If the ingestion was recent, your vet may recommend inducing vomiting and can give you instructions unique to your dog for care. If the ingestion was not recent, your vet may recommend bringing your dog in for care, or monitoring for signs of toxicity such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain or changes in behavior or appetite.
One thing i forgot to mention at the beginning is you certainly need to rule out fleas as the cause. If a cat has a flea allergy just one flea bite can drive them crazy and cause them to lick thier belly raw and hairless. Revolution is a great monthly topicall product for fleas,heartworms, and intestinal parasites. Even indoor cats need flea protection. Good luck!