How to Identify Common Pet Problems ?
Our sources include academic articles, blog posts, and personal essays from experienced pet care professionals :
Relevant Questions and Answers :
the most relevant questions and answers related to your specific issue
Chocolate: A favorite and irresistible treat amongst most humans, chocolate is considered toxic to dogs. In very small amounts it is usually not a huge issue, but with larger volumes and with darker chocolates pet owners should be concerned. Chocolate contains methylxanthine theobromine, which is similar to caffeine. Chocolate ingestion can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, issues with normal heartbeats, seizures, and in some severe cases, death. It is best to keep your favorite chocolate treats in a good hiding spot and out of reach of your dog or cat.
Grapes and raisins: Dogs should not consume grapes and raisins because of the risk of acute kidney failure. Most dogs experiencing grape or raisin toxicity will begin to have vomiting and/or diarrhea within 6-12 hours of ingestion. Other abnormal clinical signs include lethargy, abdominal pain, dehydration, and tremors. Kidney failure develops within 24-72 hours of the initial ingestion. There are some dogs that do not experience these devastating side effects. It is best to contact your veterinarian or veterinary emergency facility if you believe your pet has ingested grapes or raisins.
Garlic and onions: We often forget that our meals contain these two popular ingredients and will allow our furry companions a few bites or licks. Onion and garlic both can cause a type of poisoning that results in damage to red blood cells, making them more likely to rupture. They can also cause stomach upset and mouth irritation. Look for pale gums, increased breathing or drooling or any vomiting or diarrhea.
Bread dough: Unbaked bread dough is considered poisonous to our pets. The bread dough, when ingested, expands in the stomach because of the warm and moist environment. This can lead to a bloated or even twisted stomach. In addition yeast is often added to our baking products to help get bread to rise, and when this yeast is fermented it produces both carbon dioxide and alcohol. The alcohol produced can be absorbed into the bloodstream and causes dangerous drops in blood sugar, blood pressure and body temperature. Common clinical signs include vomiting or retching, distension of the stomach, weakness and collapse.
Macadamia nuts: Ingestion of these nuts are not proven to be fatal in dogs but can cause them to experience uncomfortable clinical sings, including fever, joint stiffness, vomiting, tremors and difficulty walking, especially in their hind legs. Often your pet will start to feel better after about 48 hours, but supportive veterinary care (such as pain medication) may help ease their discomfort.
Xylitol: The most common ingredient used in sugar-free gum is xylitol, which is a non-caloric sweetener. It is also found in some oral rinses, toothpastes and vitamins. Xylitol and dogs do not mix – it can cause a dangerous drop in blood sugars levels. Dogs will often display signs of disorientation, black tarry stool, tremors and seizures. If severe enough some dogs have developed liver failure. Keep your gum away from your canine companion.
Avocados: Avocados are not actually poisonous to dogs or cats but as many veterinarians can tell you the avocado pits can cause a foreign body obstruction. Avocados contain persin, which is actually toxic to the majority of pet birds. The abnormal clinical signs associated with avocado ingestion in birds include, respiratory distress, inability to perch, liver and kidney failure and sudden death.
Go forth and enjoy your favorite foods, but keep in mind which foods you should avoid sharing with your furry family members. Whenever in doubt, contact your veterinarian for healthy and safe food suggestions.
Cats can commonly have chin acne, which is the formation of little bumps that can be red or black in color and may sometimes break open and ooze debris. The cause of this acne is unknown, however one theory is that cats can actually get bacterial infections from rubbing their chins on plastic food dishes or dishes that are not cleaned often. Treatment may involve anywhere from none at all in minor cases, to use of wipes, creams or antibiotics for helping clear up any infection.
Allergic reaction bumps will often appear as small, red, itchy pockets of bumps anywhere on the body. These are usually treated with an allergy medication or over the counter antihistamine. Abscesses are pockets of infection under the skin that usually are one large bump, however in spreading infections may have other bumps appear. These are often painful or hot to the touch, and may ooze debris that is yellow or greenish in color. Abscesses are usually drained and then an antibiotic given to clear up the infection. Some tumors can also appear as small bumps that begin to spread and their type can be determined through biopsy of the site if other more common causes are ruled out.
Until you can have your vet look at the lumps, it is best to stop your dog from licking or chewing at them. Licking and chewing can cause cuts and scrapes to open, allowing bacteria and infection to spread over the affected area. An Elizabethan collar, or a T-shirt over the affected area can help prevent licking and chewing.
Other lumps and bumps can include allergic reactions (usually small, red, itchy bumps), abscesses (pockets of infection stuck under the skin), or even tumors and cysts filled with material or fluids. It is best to have the ear examined by your local vet as the only 100% way to determine what the lump is, is through aspiration and taking a sample of the materials inside. Your vet can then provide treatment options ranging from draining and antibiotics, to surgical removal of more serious growths.